The official site of the Paisley Pirates. Founded in 1946. Home games are played at Braehead Arena.






In front of easily their largest crowd of the season, Pirates recorded a critical 4-3 win over nearest challengers Aberdeen to move clear at the top of the Scottish National League, but once again their supporters had to endure several fraught periods during the game.


The home side were on the powerplay within a minute and with the extra space, Wilson finished off a slick passing move to put them ahead with less than two minutes on the clock. The importance of the game was clearly felt by the players on both sides as during the period there was a regular flow of penalties called, but with both goalies in good form there was no other disturbance to the scoreboard, Pirates going in at the first break holding a narrow one goal advantage.


The Renfrewshire side came out the blocks quickly in the middle session and had doubled their advantage with only fifty seconds played, as Ross Jordan was up with the forwards to score a rare goal, Chalmers in the visitors’ net getting a hand to the puck, but was unable to stop it going over the line. With chances coming at both ends again it was something of a surprise that it took until the halfway point in the period for another goal to come, as a shot parried by Chalmers was bundled over the line by the inrushing Orr, the goal standing in spite of protests from the visitors. Aberdeen were back in it a few minutes later, though, as Laing pulled one back with a rocket shot from just inside the blue line to give his team some hope at 3-1 going into the last 20 minutes.


Once again, the final session also began with a goal within two minutes of the restart, but this time it was to put Lynx right back in it , a speculative cross come shot by Dyer deceiving everyone to finish in Meechan’s net and pull the score back to 3-2. Pirates continued to have marginally the better of the play and at the halfway point they scored a great goal as Johnston took the puck forward and waited before passing until Blair was in the perfect position to slot it behind Chalmers to provide a little insurance with the lead doubled once more. However, Pirates’ fans again had the chance to bite their fingernails as with less than five minutes to go they were playing off a 5 on 3 disadvantage with both Jordan and Thorpe sitting out minor penalties. They safely negotiated the first part, but lost a goal with less than 4 minutes left as McIntosh scored to bring it back to a one goal game again. With the visitors looking to pull their netminder for the extra skater in the last minute, they lost their momentum as Findlay was penalised for Slashing, and Pirates safely kept the puck in their possession to record a crucial win.


Scorers: Orr (1+1), Jordan, Wilson & Blair (all 1+0), Hassan (0+2),  Johnston (0+1)


Penalties:        Guy (14), Johnston (12), Jordan (4), Orr, Campbell & Thorp (all 2)


Man of the Match: DAVID ORR