The official site of the Paisley Pirates. Founded in 1946. Home games are played at Braehead Arena.



Picture: Al Goold (

KIRKCALDY KESTRELS   3                        PAISLEY PIRATES   2



In a tight match which descended into pantomime almost on the final buzzer, League leaders Kirkcaldy won by the odd goal in five against a visiting Pirates side which competed well against the Fife team and who, with a bit of luck, might have been the first side to put a dent in their otherwise unblemished home record this year. The outcome of the match hinged upon two refereeing decisions, one which saw the Kestrels awarded a “goal” which was disputed, while the visitors similarly had a marker debated, only for the referee and linesman to disallow it.


In a very tight opening session, neither side was able to breach the other’s defences, with netminders Meechan (Pirates) and Little (Kestrels) turning away every shot which came their way, and thus as the teams made their way to the dressing rooms after twenty minutes, the spectators awaited the first goal.


It was not until the halfway point that the opener arrived, as Floyd beat Meechan to put the Kestrels in front, but Pirates retaliated within two minutes as Johnston linked with McGlaughlin and Blair to even the score at 1-1 by the second interval, with the points still up for grabs, and capable of remaining in Fife or heading west with Pirates.


In the final session, Kestrels once more took the lead after 45 minutes through Jamieson, and while Spiers tied the scores up again within a minute, the Kestrels hit man was on hand at the halfway point in the session to put his side ahead for the third time in the match. In spite of Pirates’ best efforts, they were unable to find a way past Little, but with the clock running down a scuffle broke out on ice, and in keeping with the time of year, the pantomime which followed resulted in no fewer than SIX players being thrown out of the game, four for the Kestrels and two visitors, the penalties for the whole match reaching an unimpressive, not to say unrepresentative, 176 minutes.


Pirates left the arena frustrated at losing a match where they once again put in a sterling performance, this time with nothing to show for it. They are next in action at home in Braehead Arena on SATURDAY 6 January when they will be first footed by Aberdeen Lynx (face off at the earlier time of 5.00pm).