The official site of the Paisley Pirates. Founded in 1946. Home games are played at Braehead Arena.






Pirates were unable to resist a strong Comets fightback after leading 3-1 in the first period, and thus their unwanted lack of success in the playoffs continues, with the Comets lifting the trophy.


After their poor showing the previous night, Pirates came out with a purpose and after both Miller and Thorp had come close they took the lead in the 9th minute when Wilson and Miller combined to put Orr through and he wasted no time in dispatching the puck behind Michie for the opener. It got even better for them as within a minute the lead had doubled, as Jordan fired home from the blue line through a ruck of players to make it 2-0. Comets hauled themselves back into contention after thirteen minutes as Hamilton got the better of Meechan to halve the deficit, but with Pirates looking rampant at this stage they immediately broke to the other end, Johnstone finding the net to make it 3-1, a lead which they retained until the first interval, to send them in with a lead which their play merited.


Comets needed a quick goal at the start of the second session to break Pirates’ momentum and give themselves a foothold in the match, and they got it with less than two minutes on the clock as Gordon fired home to make it a one goal game. Comets appeared to take energy from that strike and with Pirates taking several penalties during the session, the former had the opportunity to get themselves right back in contention and equalised after 36 minutes with Whitelaw scoring on the powerplay. The warning signals were flashing for Pirates but their passes were not quite so accurate, players were perhaps trying to do too much on their own on occasions, and Michie was not quite as busy between the posts for Comets as he might have been, so at 3-3 going into the final session their opponents continued to gather momentum.


Pirates were unable to capitalise on an early powerplay at the beginning of the final session and on forty eight minutes they had a narrow escape as Dolan was sent clean through on Meechan but overshot the target and the chance was lost, much to the vocal delight of the Pirates’ fans. However, the Comets’ veteran forward had the last laugh as within two minutes a rebound had fallen beautifully for him and he wasted no time in tucking home what proved to be the game winning goal. Pirates continued to push forward, even pulling Meechan in the last minute for the extra skater, but in spite of their manful efforts they just didn’t have enough on the night, and suffered the ultimate disappointment in having to watch Comets step forward to lift a trophy which could so easily have been theirs.


The two sides meet again in two weeks in the Scottish Cup Final, again in Kirkcaldy.