The official site of the Paisley Pirates. Founded in 1946. Home games are played at Braehead Arena.



Picture: Al Goold (



Pirates overwhelmed the visitors tonight with a fast, free flowing display which their opponents were unable to match and in doing so took the two points with some ease.

They were two goals ahead inside the opening five minutes and, in spite of being unable to add to their total in the remainder of the period, continued to press an overworked Caps defence who had netminder Mallinson to thank for a great display that kept the score within manageable proportions at the end of the first twenty minutes.

The home side continued to press in the second period and were unlucky to lose a “goal” after two minutes when referee Stewart was premature in whistling just as Haydn Bain was poking the loose puck over the line, suffered a heavy challenge into the boards. The goals eventually flowed in the second half of the period as Pirates netted no fewer than four times to put a healthier scoreline on the board, and ensure no likelihood of a comeback by the Capitals.

Pirates were caught cold at the beginning of the final session, losing a goal inside 16 seconds through some slack defending, and while they continued to press forward they lost a second in the 48th minute to give a measure of respectability to the scoreline which really wasn’t merited on the night. Following a rash of penalties called on the home side by referee Stewart, much to the anger of the crowd, he awarded Pirates a penalty shot with less than three minutes to go, which Dobson took but was unable to convert. With more penalties being called in the final few moments, it was something of a surprise when the home side was awarded another penalty shot, and this time Blair skated forward to net with consummate ease to put a more accurate scoreline on the board, with only 10 seconds left.

Pirates should be well pleased with a performance that was scintillating in places, and with their new look team continuing to spread the goals around they will face difficult matches before Christmas with some confidence. Their next match is at Braehead Arena on Sunday, 10 December (face off 6.00pm)